On Eliminating Internet Distractions

November 11, 2013
By

I suppose it’s a bit ironic I am posting this essay on the internet to distract you all from your work, but… well, what’s a guy to do?

This essay is thanks to the wonderful kickstarter backers who pledged for my book. The project is now over %400 funded! Because of their generous giving, this essay is going to be added to the Brick by Brick book.

Have you pledged for a copy yet? There are only 3 days left before the campaign is over! Please take a look!

Previous Next

41 Responses to On Eliminating Internet Distractions

1. Erin on November 11, 2013 at 9:46 pm

This is great! Thanks again – the “free time” folder is a great solution to procrastination via the internet :)

• stephen on November 12, 2013 at 4:25 pm

Let me know how it works!

2. gee on November 12, 2013 at 12:38 am

hey thanks for all of this, it’s really useful! I just have one question: what about the ol’ problem of distinguishing between work and ‘free time’ stuff? especially for us creatives who are lucky enough to have work that’s also fun, and vice versa..?? 0.o x

• stephen on November 12, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Work is what will make you money and feed you. Free time does not feed you. It’s good to motivate yourself with fun, but sometimes entertainment can still be more fun than the sweet art job you’ve landed– and that’s when you need to separate the two. The funnest thing in your work environment should be your work.

3. Rachel on November 12, 2013 at 5:07 am

Wow! Love this comic! What a great solution to a real problem. I’m definitely going to implement this one!

• stephen on November 12, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Awesome! Let me know how it turns out!

4. Kristina on November 12, 2013 at 9:23 am

That’s the perfect comic and advise I just needed!
    Since I took part in the NaNoWriMo challenge and write away, I learned that there is nothing more important to me and everything else outside there bores me and I have no interest in it at all. So i browse the internet far less. I’m just aware of what is really important to me and what matters to my work/life/skill. And whenever I have a writing session I disable wifi, so I have absolutely no distratction to look up something on amazon and end up many minutes later researching something on wikipedia or watching cat videos.

• stephen on November 12, 2013 at 4:30 pm

Good practice! Sometimes we just need to remind ourselves what really matters.

5. Thomas Geelens on November 12, 2013 at 6:36 pm

Hi Stephen, I love this one! What RSS Reader do you use?

• stephen on November 15, 2013 at 3:44 pm

I use feedly!

6. goldentigers on November 13, 2013 at 6:08 pm

this reminds me of opera actually has a feature called stash exactly for this reason

7. Damani on November 14, 2013 at 4:17 pm

so glad i happened upon this site and was able to back your kickstarter! nice to know that there are so many artists out there willing to help one another!

• stephen on November 15, 2013 at 4:09 pm

Thanks so much for backing!

8. Angelina on November 15, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I have seen many internet articles/comics/whatever on the topic of internet procrastination and I can honestly say this is the only one that’s truly helpful and practical. Not only that, but it’s presented in a very fun and satisfaying way. Thank you so much, Stephen. You’re awesome.

• stephen on November 18, 2013 at 5:53 pm

You’re welcome!

9. Khatn on November 17, 2013 at 6:32 pm

Do you have any ideas for overcoming “Pile Paralysis”? You know — when taking even a small first step on an overwhelmingly huge task (decluttering my house) paralyzes me because the first pile (step) of stuff is so intertwined with everything else (finding something that needs to go into another room, which needs to go in another room, which needs to go into another room….) that I’m totally freaked out by just looking at it. So I avoid it and it gets bigger!

That, and “Landmines.” These are things that have high emotional or psychological content, and even finding them accidentally spins me into a depression or a manic high and I’m sucked into it’s gravitational pull and “have” to spend an inordinate amount of time on just that ONE thing, and it can trigger “aftershocks” (random thoughts that pop into my head and stop me emotionally/psychologically in my mind track, even months later. It’s almost a form of post-traumatic stress disorder or at least it feels that way…..

Thanks for all the great ideas and the novel approach to getting things accomplished. Putting fun into the mix is definitely going to help a lot!

• Dennis on November 18, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Hi Khatn,

Here is some advice that might help. You said the following thing: “because the first pile (step) of stuff is so intertwined with everything else..” A good idea would be to break it down in even smaller parts or idea’s. Let’s say to break down the work to such a small part that it’s comfortable for you, even if it is just relocating one piece of paper..and than continue from there on! No judgement upon yourself, only congratulations to yourself for getting things done!
      And a second think that might help in the sorting is to have only 3 actions (keep, discard or donate) AND the most important part of this; to have no ‘in-between-locations’ meaning that once holding the item, you have to choose a permanent location. No more placing things from the one place to the other.

The first idea is the best to start with and afterwards you can see if you can work on the second idea, good luck! ;-)

• stephen on November 18, 2013 at 6:06 pm

Great ideas Dennis, thanks for sharing!

• stephen on November 18, 2013 at 6:03 pm

Hey! I’d recommending checking out the work philosophy of Get Things Done: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4rU7heoKJuI

That’s really help me keep focused on what I need to do next. If you have any questions, please come back and we can talk about it!

10. Dennis on November 18, 2013 at 3:22 pm

Nice comic! I found it on deviantart and it reminds me a lot of what has to be done. Thanks for the conscious reminder and success with your new book!

11. Erica on November 21, 2013 at 5:38 pm

When will the comic be out :) Looking forward to it!

12. Erica on November 21, 2013 at 5:38 pm

errr.. the book.

13. [...] On Eliminating Internet Distractions. Share this:TwitterFacebookLike this:Like Loading… Posted in Articles to Read | Tagged [...]

14. ben on November 23, 2013 at 5:39 am

Hot Tip: second to last pannel, dude’s thumb is on the wrong side…This is cool stuff. Always happy to see someone trying to uplift and enlighten all the confusion out there. And yeah I’m just a frustrated nobody who gave up on his art for the last 13 years so I need to get my quick ego fix from criticizing you…with only having just stumbled upon your site and rushing through maybe two full comics. Because I see your creativity as a threat, bitter old me.

• stephen on November 25, 2013 at 5:19 pm

DOH! Good catch. Man– I thought I had gotten past making that mistake, ha ha. Thank you!

15. [...] 就讓我們一起欣賞這篇精彩的漫畫作品!圖片出處:http://doodlealley.com/2013/11/11/on-eliminating-internet-distractions/ [...]

16. Bianca on November 26, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I really really need it !

17. Dora Chen on November 26, 2013 at 6:31 pm

I really want your book as a Christmas gift this year.. But I don’t know if it’s sold out or where I can get it..

Could anybody please help me >.<? Thanks!

18. Darren on November 29, 2013 at 2:17 pm

Do continue what you are doing! You rock!

19. Mags on November 29, 2013 at 3:46 pm

Thanks for this, i am struggling right now with this, to improve my art, somedays i just would like to go and just cancel my internet cotnract, i am desperate ;_;

thanks again, gotta put it in practice *hugs*

20. zlig on December 2, 2013 at 1:40 pm

Great, just spent all afternoons reading this comics ! ;-)

• stephen on December 2, 2013 at 7:55 pm

XP

21. Rachel on December 3, 2013 at 3:28 am

For a second, before the rest loaded, I thought the first panel was the whole essay. And that really ought to be enough!

22. Brittiny on December 5, 2013 at 1:27 am

Hello,
    I am an aspiring artist and I think your comics and thoughts with this project are so beautiful and helpful. I just found this website and work today and I would love a copy of this book. It is amazing. Where can I buy it??!? :D

• stephen on December 6, 2013 at 6:14 pm

You’ll be able to purchase it here on the site– sign up for my newsletter if you want to receive a notification when the book’s available!

23. mismoniker on December 10, 2013 at 8:33 am

Lack of good sleep can make you prone to internet addiction too. I’ve discovered that’s when I’m most vulnerable :)

• stephen on December 11, 2013 at 5:18 pm

Good tip! Sleep is a tough one for me too.

24. Myrena on December 12, 2013 at 7:00 pm

Making a “free time” folder right now, your webpage will be the 1st one in it :) Thank you for the great idea!!! :)

Keep up the great work!

M

25. Neo on January 5, 2014 at 3:12 am

Very handy. Of course, the best steps I know of are to just take a break from the internet for awhile.

26. Nojuan Especial on April 15, 2014 at 4:18 pm

Pinterest and tumblr laugh at my Free time folder.

• stephen on April 19, 2014 at 12:05 am

Ha ha– yeah. If only tumblr could fit in the free time folder.